Sawi District

District’s slogan

Ancient pagoda, delicious coffee, sweet wintergreen, beautiful ladies, sweet pineapple, Sawi islands trip

District office’s address

13/1, Moo 4, Sawi Subdistrict, Sawi District, Chumphon Province, 86130

Telephone number

0-0775-3100 ,0-7753-1779

Fax number

0-0775-3100
History

Sawi District is an old city of Chumphon, existing since ancient times. According to the history, the original name of the district was “Chawi”. Then its pronunciation gradually became “Sawi”. It is located on the eastern coast of Thailand. There is no clear historical evidence as to when Sawi District was created, or by whom. In the year 1814, Sawi was first recorded in Thai history. At that time, a group of Thai monks were appointed as religious ambassador, and assigned to travel to Sri Lanka. However, the ship broke down on the way. So, they instead traveled by land. They walked from Chumphon, and passed Sawi city. However, the exact place of its governing center cannot be confirmed. In the year 1906, the Thai government launched the new administrative system. The administrative office of Sawi was set up on the bank of Sawi River, but there is no evidence about its exact location on the bank.

In the year 1907, (Rattanakosin the year 116), after the Local Administration Act 1907 (Rattanakosin the year 116) was issued, Sawi city became Sawi District. The first district office was the residence of Mr. Ruen Thongkham, who was then the “City’s protector”, located on the bank of Sawi Canal, in Moo 5, Na Poh Subdistrict. It was first opened on 16 April 189, Mr. Daeng Thanachai (Luang Sewi Worraraj) was the first District Chief Officer. Half a year later, the office was temporarily moved to the residence of Mr. Thongchum, Park Preak Subdistrict’s headman. One year and a half afterwards, Sawi District Office was constructed on the bank of Sawi River in Sawi Subdistrict. It was used until the year 1919, and then became delapidated. Once again, the office was temporarily moved to the residence of Mr.Hog Boonyasombat, a local rich man. Mr. Thaew Samitobol (Luang Raknorrakij), the District Chief Officer at that time, arranged the construction of the new office in Moo 5, Na Poh Subdistrict, and opened the new District Office on 1 April 1919. However, on 24 January 1968, the office was burnt down. Department of Provincial Administration approved the construction of the new office, and the inauguration ceremony was held on 30 January 1969. It was used for 32 years, until 2001. After it deteriorated due to the long time of usage, the Department of Provincial Administration approved the construction of the new office in the year 2000. And the new District Office was moved to Baan Don Rak, Moo4, Sawi Subdistrict since 1 October 2001 and has been located there until now.

Geography

Sawi District is located on the eastern coast of southern Thailand. It covers the area around 799.578 square kilometers. It borders other districts as follows,

To the north

Mueang Chumphon District

To the south

Thung Tako, Lang Suan Districts of Chumphon Province, and La-un district of Ranong Province

To the east

The Gulf of Thailand

To the west

La-un and Kra Buri Districts of Ranong Province
Geographical features

Sawi District is located on the flatland on the eastern coast of Thailand. Its western part is highland and slopes down eastwards till it reaches the sea. Overall, the local soil is loam and sandy clay. There are many mountains and mixed deciduous forests. In the west, many mountains lie from the north to the south, called Tanao Sri Mountain Range. In the east are plain fields on the coastal line.