Thasae District

District’s slogan

Hin Chang Spirit House, gateway to the south, Prince of Chumphon Shrine, old caves, cultural sources, natural waterfalls, strategic area 491

District office’s address

Moo 6, Phetkasem – Tha Sae Road, Tha Sae Subdistrict, Tha Sae District.

Telephone Number

0-7759-9013

Fax number

0-7759-9013
History

Tha Sae District was a frontier city of Chumphon. Therefore, it was a battlefield where local people fought against Burmese invasion. According to Ayutthaya’s historical record (Luang Aksorn Niti’ s version) it stated that “When Tha Sae was under Ayutthaya Kingdom’s control, it was a Chattawa level city. It was subordinate to Chumphon which was a Tri level city itself. All governors of Tha Sae were titled “Phra Thep Chai Burin”. The first governor was Phra Thep Chai Burin (Boon Chor). He settled his residence and office (Lha) beside a canal, next to Na Srang Temple. After he passed away, Phra Thep Chai Burin (Phueag) succeeded him, however, he soon became sick and could not perform his work. Hence, the government appointed Khun Thong, the third child of Phra Thep Chai Burin (Boon Chor) as the new governor. When he passed away, the first child of Phra Thep Chai Burin (Khun Thong) succeeded his father’s position, and became Phra Thep Chai Burin (Yong). When Phra Thep Chai Burin (Yong) passed away, the next governor was Phra Thep Chai Burin (Bua), and Phra Thep Chai Burin (KLai Thitathan) was the last governor.

There is no clear evidence about when Tha Sae District was established. In the year 1896 (115th Rattanakosin the year), King Rama V established the Tesapibal Countries Administrative Management with which Tha Sae, Pathio, Kamnerd Nopphakhun became districts subordinate to Chumphon. Phra Thep Chai Burin (Klai Thitathan) was appointed as the first Krom Karn Amphur (presently, District Chief Officer). At that time, Tha Sae District Office was located between Laem Yang Temple and Yang Khor Temple. In the year 1919, the Ministry of Interior declared the adjustment of Tha Sae District to be a subdistrict subordinate to Pathio District giving a reason that most areas in Tha Sae District were still mountainous and therefore there were relatively few bureaucratic affairs. Villages and subdistricts in Tha Sae were mostly located not far from Pathio District. The transportation to Pathio District was quite convenient. On the contrary, there were more people in Pathio District, and the economy was growing. In the year 1921, Tha Sae District Office was moved from Baan Laem Yang to Baan Tanod Kha Rong (presently, the provincial police station). Then the government considered that Tha Sae District covered wide area and bordered Myanmar (presently, the Union of Myanmar), and had many inhabitants, therefore, it issued a declaration on 8 October 1940, changing Tha Sae Subdistrict to be Tha Sae District again, and this status still remains.

Tha Sae is a frontier city of Chumphon. In ancient times, when Thai people and Burmese often launched wars against each other, people in Tha Sae needed to prepare for Burmeses’ invasion, as the armies needed to march through Tha Sae to Chumphon. As a result, Tha Sae was a battlefield, and places in districts were named after historical incidents. For example, Rap Ro Subdistrict was named after the incident when the Burmese armies marched into the district and stopped here. Therefore, the district was called “Thup Ror” (meaning waiting armies)(and the name was gradually changed to “Rap Ro”)until today.

Geography

Tha Sae District is located in the north of Chumphon. The total area is around 1,531.215 square kilometers or 957,011.25 Rai, and borders other districts as follows,

To the north

Bang Saphan Noi District, Prachuap Khiri Khan Province, and Pathio District, Chumphon Province

To the south

Mueang Chumphon District, Chumphon Province

To the east

Pathio District, Chumphon Province

To the west

Kra Buri, Ranong Province and the Union of Myanmar